We’re being urged to shop local this Australia Day week and to help stop of the flow of over $4.2 billion that’s heading to offshore businesses.
The best way you can do this is to buy Australian made products and to support your local companies.
Here’s a list of ten companies you can support, and their founders, including links to their sites and what they are all about.
- Edible Beauty Founder: Anna Mitsios. The business was created to address the need for toxin-free luxurious botanical skin care that is good enough to eat.
- Stylerunner Founder: Julie Stevanja. A stylish new women’s yoga label, designer activewear and limited edition sport shoes from a range of sports brands.
- Mon Purse Founder: Lana Hopkins. Allows you to design, customise and monogram your perfect handbag or luxury European leather goods.
- Edible Blooms Founders: Sisters, Kelly Jamieson and Abbey Baker. An award winning gift service delivering chocolate bouquets, gift baskets and gift ideas Australia wide.
- Box for Monkeys Founder: Sarah Donges. Fun activity boxes for kids, delivered to your home. Shop for one-off boxes or subscribe to receive boxes monthly. Offering a huge range of packs to keep monkeys of different ages happy, educated and screen free.
- Ryder Founder: Penny Brown. Women’s fashion that is synonymous with effortless style and every day comfort.
- Corban & Blair Founders: Gillian Corban and Amanda Blair. Stylish designer albums, journals, books and photo frames
- Australian Fashion Labels BNKR Founders: Melanie and Dean Flintoft. A shopping portal for top brands C/MEO Collective, Finders Keepers, Keepsake, The Fifth Label, and Jaggar shoes.
- Hardtofind Founder: Erica Stewart. Quirky, stand-out quality items and gifts that you won’t find anywhere else, celebrating fun, innovative design from the best small creative businesses in Australia and globally.
- Nourished Life Founder: Irene Falcone. One-stop shop for toxin-free, all-natural beauty, health and fitness products.
It’s estimated that 60 per cent of Australian businesses shut down in the first three years of opening, according to comparison website finder.com.au which has launched a True Blue sale initiative where many companies are offering discounts today online.
Among the retailers who have signed up to the True Blue sale are fashion and sportswear retailer THE ICONIC, Sydney-based retailer Showpo, and SurfStitch.
Nude by Nature, Specsavers, SABA, Aussie Farmers Direct, Bondi Bather, The Academy Brand, Mosmann, Pacifico Optical, MINKPINK, Vinomofo, STA Travel and Cellarmasters are also among the brands showing their support.